We understand it’s easy to be overwhelmed by the variety of sizes and options available for bedding items and get confused about how to match bedding sizes with the many different options available out there!
We understand that everyone sleeps differently and even though the right-sized duvet seems not such a big deal— it is!! You need to sleep comfortably, and we know that every bed is created in different ways, but why not find the perfect fit for your needs? We can help you make the right choice!!
What to do about beds with thick deep mattresses? Or if you keep fighting for blankets with your sleeping partner? Regardless of how you sleep Au lit, your duvet needs to provide you with a cozy sleep.
Don't you worry! Here you will find a detailed guide to the sizing options (dimensions) available, how to measure your bedding size, why is it important, and also how to match it with your bedroom style.
What Is A Duvet?
Duvet reminds you of something fluffy…doesn’t it!! Yes, it can be understood as a fluffy quilt because it is basically that, a duvet is a quilted fabric designed with two pieces of fabric that are stuffed with warm feather-like materials such as goose down or feathers or some type of synthetic fabric (you can also find hypoallergic and natural materials as stuffing’s for your duvet). The fabric used to sew this is usually white, and that is why you can find a variety of down covers that can help make your room aesthetically awesome!
But not to forget, getting the right-sized duvet can save you a lot of hassle. Check out our Duvet Products collection to explore your options.
What Is The Best Duvet Size For You?
Duvets and comforters act as a top layer for your bedding and also help aesthetically enhance the look of your room. Whether you like a more bling look or a simple shade, there is a perfect design for everyone.
As a general rule, you should buy one size bigger duvet quilt than your mattress. This is because you want to let the cover overhang a little bit on the side of the bed — the place where the mattress meets the foundation of your bed. This just helps gives a more elegant look to your room.
Even though there are no standard measurements and restrictions for the duvet comforter sizes for your mattress, you can find a variety of them ranging from Twin, Twin XL, Double, Queen, King, and California King.
Many times you may notice the dimensions and sizes of all duvet comforters vary based on the manufacturer. This is why we recommend that you always measure before buying.
How To Choose The Right Sized Duvet
- Measure your bed or mattress. Before you start shopping, measure the width and length of your bed or mattress. This will give you a good idea of what size of duvet you need. For example, a queen size mattress will require a queen size duvet.
- Consider your personal preference. If you like to spread out in your bed, choose a larger size duvet. If you prefer a snugger fit, opt for a smaller size.
- Consider the style. Some duvets are designed to be used with a top sheet, while others are meant to be used alone. Choose the size that works best for your desired look.
- Consider the fill. If you’re using a duvet insert, make sure the duvet size is larger than the insert size. This will ensure that the insert fits snugly inside the duvet and won’t bunch up.
By taking into consideration your bed size, the climate in which you live, and your own sleeping preferences, you can choose the right size duvet to ensure you get a comfortable night's sleep.
Tip: It is advisable that you measure the thickness of your mattress before making a purchase.
An Overview of the Different Sizes of Duvet Comforters
- Twin Size Duvet: This duvet measures 64" X 88" (inches) or 165 cm X 225 cm and is compatible with both Twin size bed and twin Xl size mattress/ bed. Mostly used by children.
- Twin XL Duvet: This duvet measures 66" X 90" (inches) or 167.6 cm X 228.6 cm, and can be used for both twin size or twin XL size mattresses/beds. Since twin and twin XL are very similar to each other. Mostly depends on the height of the person using, they are a good fit for both. This is also the most common size for dorm room beds and many hospital beds.
- Double Size Duvet: These are also known as full-size duvet which ranges from 78" X 88" (inches) or 200 cm X 225cm. These duvets are perfect for young adults and single sleepers that are also compatible with a double or full-sized bed, queen-size bed, and also for twin or twin XL bed if you want that extra space. You can use it for a queen-sized bed, but again be sure to check the thickness of your mattress.
- Queen Size Duvet: This duvet comforter is best used with a queen-sized, double, or full-sized mattress, as its size ranges from Queen 88" X 90" (inches) or 225 cm X 230 cm. Good for queen-sized mattresses up to 15 inches thick/ tall. Since these are the most popular sized duvets out there, you are sure to find a huge variety of color choices. This sized duvet is also good for people who sleep on King sized mattress but do not share a duvet comforter. Perfect for single sleepers on any sized bed.
- King Size Duvet: This size duvet is compatible with a queen, double, or King-sized mattress, the measurements of this size are 102" X 90" (inches) or 259 cm X 230 cm. King sizes bed are the widest size of beds out there whereas California king is the longest size available.
- California King Size: This is perfect for all tall sleepers. One of the longest-sized duvet/ bed sizes available out there. The dimensions of this huge-sized duvet are 110" X 100" (inches) or 279.4 cm X 254 cm. California King size duvets are a few inches longer than a regular king-sized duvets.
Learn more about the famous King California in a few scrolls!!
Both King size and California King are the perfect sizes for people who share a bed and a duvet. these sized beddings are also good for people planning a family, as they have enough space for children as well.
Reasons You Should Choose a Size Bigger Than Your Bed
You may always want to opt for a bigger size than your mattress and your bed for various reasons such as:
- Sharing your bed: Do you share your duvet/ bed with your partner? Yes, better to avoid the blanket fight every night!! One of you would always seem to be fighting for the duvet comforter to be on their side. Why not just buy a bigger size so you both can sleep in peace!!
- Aesthetically pleasing: It simply gives a better look to have your duvet fall a little on the sides of your bed. A larger size duvet can look more attractive and elegant as it hangs on the side.
- Comfier: Do you simply like to cuddle with your blanket or maybe you like to bundle yourself up on all sides like me!! Then you should get a size bigger.
- Tall people: If you are particularly tall, you don’t want to sleep with your feet out of the duvet. Must’ve heard about the monster joke. Hehe!!
What Is The Oversize Extra-Large California King Size?
The Oversize Extra Large California King Size is the largest size of a standard mattress available on the market. It measures 72 inches wide and 84 inches long, making it the widest and longest mattress size offered.
The extra width and length provide a larger sleeping area for people who are tall and/or have a wide frame. It is also great for couples who like to spread out while sleeping. The Oversize Extra Large California King Size is perfect for large master bedrooms and provides ample room for two people to sleep comfortably.
Another Reason To Go For the Extra-Large Size King
Ever find you and your partner always pulling and hogging over the covers? Fight no more with this California King sized duvet.
This California King Sized duvet by Down Under bedding is wonderfully light and fluffy. Along with being hypoallergenic, it is also filled with Hungarian white down. Perfect for all seasons throughout the year, this duvet delivers a 550 loft and is perfect for people who want a warm yet light duvet.
It comes with 289TC (thread count) with a 100% cotton cover that has 12" baffle box construction. Proudly filled in Canada to the high standards of the Down Association of Canada.
Note: Down products that are made offshore are not cleaned and sanitized to Canadian standards and could result in more dust mites and allergens.
This duvet's Dimension is:
Cal California King: 110"(W) X 100"(L) or 279.4 cm X 254 cm
Pillow Talk 101
While choosing the right pillow for yourself, it is important to ask yourself whether you like to sleep on a large pillow, or if would you prefer a small one with more volume.
You may notice that some pillows offer more comfort than others because of the nature of the filling inside them.
Standard pillows are the most common type of pillows, measuring (51 x 66 cm) or 20" x 26" (inches). Standard size is the perfect compact option for people who like to sleep without much tossing and turning. This size is often bought with twin or double beds because they sit across perfectly a small-sized bed. A standard pillow can be found very commonly because of its fairly acceptable dimensions that fit everyone from growing kids to adults.
Check out our Pillow Collection to explore your options.
Queen pillows are slightly longer than a standard pillow, which provides you with more surface area and comfort for your head. The standard measurements for this in North America are (51 x 76 cm) or 20" x 30" (inches). These pillows are perfect for all kinds of sleepers, side, back, or stomach. Their amazing ultra-soft and fluffy fill provide for ultimate comfort throughout the night.
Explore your choices by looking through our Queen Pillow Collection.
King pillows have an extra-long measurement of (51 x 92 cm) or 20" x 36" (inches), which can make you feel like a King! Yes, keep two of them side by side and even if you toss and turn at night, you could still sleep comfortably. They are perfect for a standard king-sized bed, not only do they help with the aesthetics of your room but also the perfect length and width for this large king-sized mattress.
Browse our selection of King Sized Pillows to narrow down your options.
A European pillow is also known as a euro pillow or euro sham. It is a square-shaped pillow popular in European countries but has been greatly adopted across the globe. These are most commonly used for décor purposes on beds, sofas, and couches. The traditional measurement for this size is (66 x 66 cm) or 26" x 26" (inches).
Duvets are there to make you feel warm and cozy. Just as pillows are to help you get a comfortable sleep throughout the night.
They should be longer than the size of your bed so that they can cover your whole body when you are sleeping and your bed when you make it.
Ultimately it is your decision to buy what is best for your needs. Always remember to measure and check the sizes for any bedding you might purchase. Make sure to buy a duvet cover also accordingly.
We've made a separate article for the best Duvets and Comforters you'll love this 2023!